While most DMV offices in California accept appointment-only visits, four accept appointments and walk-ins. So, if you visit a DMV office and want faster service, you must book an appointment. One can schedule an appointment by calling the DMV toll-free number 1-800-777-0133. You can call this number anytime and make an appointment in advance within 90 days.
How To Schedule An Appointment at DMV California (CA)
One can also book an appointment through the online DMV appointment system at the California DMV office. We have mentioned the steps below to book an appointment. Follow them carefully.
- One must log into the California DMV online platform at: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/.
- Choose a desired service from various online Services such as California driver’s license, replacement/renewal license, ID card, learner’s permit, vehicle registration, schedule an appointment, etc.
- You can either schedule an appointment, make changes, or make payments.
- Once you confirm an appointment schedule, you will receive a confirmation email.
Note: There are a few services for which one has to visit the DMV office, as these transactions cannot be conducted online or by phone.
California (CA) DMV Appointment Phone Number
Call the DMV toll-free number 1-800-777-0133. This Phone number is available 24 hours a day, Monday to Friday. Anyone can book an appointment 90 days in advance by phone.
Best Time to Visit DMV CA (California)
Scheduling an appointment at the best time is essential, and you can easily visit the branch office. If you visit the DMV office during busy times, your wait time may increase even if you have an appointment. Below I will suggest the best times to schedule and visit the DMV office.
- One must visit the California DMV office in the morning as the afternoons are usually much busier.
- People who want their paperwork processed faster must avoid visiting the office on Mondays and Fridays. Mid-week tends to be less busy when staff can give visitors more time.
- Do not visit the California DMV office during the lunch break, which is at noon. It is because there is less staff during this time. To check the dmv culver City wait time, visit this article.
- Leave for the DMV office with enough time on your hands, as paperwork related to driver’s licenses or vehicle registration usually takes ample time.
CA DMV Written Test Appointment
One can take the knowledge written test at any California DMV field office after they book an appointment at an office that provides driver’s license-related services. A written knowledge test is crucial for applying for an original driver’s license or upgrading to a different class of DL. The DMV conducts a written test through an automated touch Screen Terminal (TST) that helps administer the knowledge test.
- Visit the appointment scheduling tool: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/appointments/select-appointment-type
- Select the written test in the service list.
- After this, select the time and date for the written test.
- Select the nearest testing location.
- Enter your details in the required fields and review the information.
- Click the “SUBMIT” button to schedule an appointment for your written test.
Take a print of the scheduled appointment and attach supporting documents to visit the DMV office in California.
CA DMV Permit Test Appointment
Any new or long-time resident in California who has reached the legal age for driving can apply for a permit test. You can book an appointment at the California DMV via phone or online. One has to book an appointment, as there are no walk-ins unless the individual visits a Driver’s License Processing Center to apply for the permit. One can take the California Permit Test at any DMV office across California (los angeles, San Jose, Oakland, or any state) as long as the office offers driver’s license services. There is no need to visit a field office at a far-off location, as there are several DMV offices across California. So, you can seek the closest DMV office based on your location by booking an appointment online at: https://dmv.ca.gov. One can also book an appointment by phone: 1-800-777-0133.
- To book an appointment, open the URL: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/appointments/select-appointment-type
- Select the “permit test.”
- Select the appointment time and date along with the branch office nearest you.
- After this, enter your name, email address, and phone number.
- Review your details before submitting, and click the “submit” button to book an appointment.
Print the scheduled appointment and move to the DMV office to take the permit test.
CA DMV Driving License Test Appointment
Newly shifted residents to California or if you are an eligible persons must book an appointment for a driving test if they want to start driving a vehicle. Hence, one needs to book an appointment for a Behind-the-Wheel Driving Test by logging into the online portal mentioned in the article, and new California residents need to update their address with the DMV. If you have recently moved within California, you can do dmv change of address in California by visiting a local DMV office or completing the process online. One can also book an appointment via the earlier toll-free number during regular business hours. One must choose the correct appointment type while booking an office field appointment. Also, you can check California suspended license reinstatement details here. Scheduling a driver’s license appointment is straightforward and completed with a few steps, which are explained below.
- On the official DMV website, you can quickly schedule an appointment. Open the appointment scheduling tool: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/appointments/select-appointment-type
- You can choose the “SELECT VEHICLE” option on the scheduling page.
- Select the “commercial or automobile or motorcycle.”
- Enter your permit number and date of birth.
- Enter your details, including your name, phone number, and email address.
Please review your details and submit them to schedule a driver’s license appointment.
CA DMV Real ID Appointment
In California, a Real ID license has the image of a gold bear on the top right corner with a star on it. Anyone applying for a first-time Real ID must be at a DMV field office at the nearest location. In the case of a REAL ID, one does not need a prior appointment. However, submitting your documents online before the appointment is absolutely fine.
DMV CA ( California) Online Services List
While only a handful of services allow walk-in visits to a DMV office, most DMV services are available online. Hence, one does not need to travel to a field office but can avail of myriad services by visiting the California DMV online platform.
- License & Renewal
- Driver’s License (CDL)
- Written Test
- Driving Test
Here, you can complete various processes related to driver’s licenses, vehicle registration, and
driving tests. All your processes will be completed in a jiffy.
Required Documents for California (CA) DMV Appointment
Individuals applying for a driver’s license or a Real ID in California must bring documents during their visit to the California DMV office. People who carry all of their papers enjoy a faster process. The documents that must be brought to your visit at the DMV office include the following:
- Proof of US citizenship or lawful presence such as a birth certificate or passport.
- Proof of social security numbers such as a W-2 form or a social security card.
- Two documents, such as a lease or utility bill, prove your California residency.
Note: One must ensure that all documents brought to
the DMV office are originals and stamped if required. People, who have already submitted necessary documents for driver’s license renewal/replacement online, must bring an identification card or driver’s license during the appointment.
How to Cancel or Reschedule DMV Appointment at CA
One has to follow simple steps to either cancel their appointment or reschedule it for later. These steps are mentioned below:
- One can find a link in their confirmation email. You must click on that link to your appointment confirmation page.
- While on the confirmation page, you can edit your appointment location, date, and time for the next appointment. One can edit their first or last name, phone number, and email ID.
- You may choose to cancel your appointment by deleting it.
If you reschedule your appointment, you will have to go through the scheduling process again. Once you complete the process and click “Submit,” you will receive a new and updated confirmation email. People who prefer rescheduling an appointment by phone can dial the California DMV toll-free number and speak to a DMV representative. Tell them to cancel or reschedule your appointment, and explain the reason for cancellation or rescheduling. In return, they will ask for your driver’s license number, full name, and date of birth and may also ask for your social security number.
What types of appointments can I make at the DMV California?
You can make appointments for various services at the DMV, including driver’s license, license replacement/renewal, ID card, learner’s permit, vehicle registration, and written tests.
CA NJ DMV Offices List
There are multiple DMV field offices across the state of California. These include vehicle, licensing, regional service centers, and road testing sites. So, choose your closest location online and book your appointment immediately!