If you recently moved to a new address in California, updating ca driver’s license address and the name is essential. This address change ensures that your license stays valid and you receive important notifications and documentation related to your driving record. Luckily, changing the address on your California driver’s license is simple and can be done through several methods, including online, by mail, and in person. In this post, we’ll discuss the steps required to change your address and the requirements for each method.
How to Change Your California Driver License Address Online
- Visit the DMV website: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/
- Click on the ‘Driver license & ID card’ option.
- Click on “Change of Address” link and follow the steps to change your address online and name.
- Be prepared to provide your driver’s license number, the last four digits of your Social Security number, and your date of birth.
- Pay the application processing fee through your credit or debit card.
- Review and submit your request.
Once you’ve submitted your request, the DMV will process it and send you a confirmation email. Your updated license will be mailed to you within 60 days.
How to Change Your California Driver License Address by Mail
If you prefer to change your California driver license address by mail, you will need to fill out the Change of Address form: https://www.dmv.ca.gov
- Print this form and fill out completely.
- Attach all the supporting documentation for the address change, including proof of residency and identity.
- Mail the completed application to the address on the form along with the relevant application processing fee. You may pay by mail with check, money order, or cashier’s check.
If your application is approved, your license will be updated, and you will receive a confirmation by mail.
Change Your California Driver License Address In-person
You can also change your California driver license address in-person by visiting a DMV office near you. Here’s how:
- Schedule an appointment online or walk-in to the DMV office to request an address change.
- Bring your driver’s license, proof of residency, and any additional supporting documents as required by the DMV.
- Complete the DMV Form DL 44 or DL 44C, if required by the DMV representative.
- Pay the relevant processing fee in cash or with a credit/debit card.
Upon completing the process, the DMV will provide you with a temporary interim license valid for 90 days until you receive your new license with the updated address.
What Documents Should I Take for DMV Address Change Within CA?
To update your address at the CA DMV, you must provide the following documents: your existing driver’s license, proof of your previous address (e.g., utility bill), your Social Security number, and a valid US passport or birth certificate to confirm your date of birth. If you’re also updating your vehicle registration address, bring the latest registration document, evidence of your new residence, your updated address, and the vehicle identification number (VIN).
How To Update My Address with the California DMV If I Move From another State To California
When relocating from another state to California, it’s essential to update your driver’s license and vehicle registration. You have 10 days to complete this process. The California Department of Motor Vehicles does not accept online applications for driver’s licenses; thus, it is essential to make an appointment with the DMV and appear in person at their local offices. Not scheduling an appointment beforehand can lead to unwanted delays when processing your application.
Driver’s License Change of Address In California: Another State to CA
- Book an appointment with the CA DMV and visit your local DMV field office.
- Obtain and complete the Driver’s License or Identification Card Application either in person or fill it online and bring a print-out.
- Ensure to have necessary documents like your SSN, thumbprint, and other important details.
- Be prepared to take the knowledge test (covering traffic laws and signs) and vision test. No driving test is required.
- Pay the required fee. You can visit the Driver’s License (DL) Fees section for specifics. Accepted payment methods include Cash, Check, Debit or Credit Card, and Money Order.
- Submit the completed application form and proof of payment.
- Filled-out Driver’s License or Identification Card Application
- Social Security Card
- Proof of Date of Birth and legal presence
Updating Vehicle Registration In California: Another State to CA
- Visit the DMV Vehicle Registration section and navigate to the relevant vehicle type.
- Download and complete the REG 343 form. Be sure to pay close attention to Section 7.
- You need the most recently issued out-of-state title. If it’s lost, complete the REG 227 form.
- An authorized DMV employee must fill out a vehicle inspection form.
- Pay the necessary fee, which you can verify here.
- In some cases, smog certification may be required.
- Completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
- Most recent out-of-state title and proof of registration certificate.
- Vehicle inspection form
Penalty For Not Changing Address on Driving Licence California
The law requires updating your driver’s license address within 10 days of moving to a new address. Failing to do so can result in penalties, including late fees, traffic tickets, and suspension of driving privileges. Here is the guide for reinstate suspended license ca online and difficulty acquiring car insurance. Changing the address on your driver’s license as soon as possible is important to avoid these consequences.
What’s the Price for Updating Address on a California License?
To change your address on your license in California, it costs $28.
What’s the Fine for Not Updating Address on a California License?
You may receive a fine of up to $250. Additionally, you may also be subject to other penalties as per the state law.
Is Returning California License Plates Required When Relocating?
Yes, if you move to another state or country, you must return your California license plates. You can do this online or by visiting a local DMV office.
If I Change My Address in California, Will I Receive a New Driver’s License?
you will not automatically receive a new driver’s license. However, if you’d like a new license with the updated address printed on it, you can request a replacement and pay the required fee.
Is There a Way I Can Confirm That My California Change of Address Has Been Successfully Updated?
Yes, there is a way to confirm that your California change of address has been successfully updated. You can check the status of your request on the Department of Motor Vehicle’s website or call their customer service
Changing your California driver’s license address is an important step for drivers who have recently moved residences in the state. By keeping your address current, you’ll ensure that your license is valid and that you receive important notifications regarding your driving record. The California DMV offers three methods to change your address: online, by mail, and in person and these 3 method you can use for any state such as long beach, Sacramento and etc.. Regardless of your chosen method, be sure to provide all required documentation and pay any applicable fees promptly to avoid delays in receiving your updated driver’s license.